Monday, June 04, 2012 -
Kazakhstan will honor the 14 slain border guards killed last week at their post on the Kazakh-Chinese border with a day of mourning, the Kazakh president said in a statement on Monday.
“The border guards were killed on duty, as they carried out service to protect the borders of our country, and protected the peace and security of all of Kazakhstan,” the president said in the statement, republished on presidential web site Akorda.kz.
“Their young lives they gave for the sake of peace and the future of Kazakhstan.”
Nazarbayev pledged that the Kazakh government will provide support and assistance for the families of those who were killed in last week’s attack.
Investigators on Thursday found the charred bodies of all 14 guards at the Argkankergen border post, in the district of Almaty.
The body of a huntsman was also found, although he had been shot in the head.
Nazarbayev has put in place a special commission to investigate the deaths and get to the bottom of the mystery.